Thursday, August 2, 2012

Work-In-Progress (WIP) Challenge

A friend of mine shared her answers to this challenge in a blog post, and tagged some friends to do it as well.  Even though I wasn't a tagged friend, she also offered anybody else who had a work-in-progress novel to accept the challenge as well if they wanted to, so here I am.

Work In Progress Challenge

1.  What is the title of your book/WIP?

The working title is "The Shepherdess Princess," but I might think of a different title around the time it's ready to be released.

2.  Where did the idea for the WIP come from?

I was a big fan of fairy tales as a child, and always liked the story of "Cinderella" especially.  However, I always had problems liking the kind of fairy tales where the Prince swoops in to save the Damsel in distress. In my novel, the Prince IS the Damsel in distress!

3.  What genre would your WIP fall under?

My novel would be considered a historical romance due to the time it's set in, and a couple of the characters are based on people that lived during that time.

4.  Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

I'm not altogether sure who I would get to play my characters in a movie version.  Whoever it is would have to be able to do a Scottish, English, and French accent depending on the part they are picked for.

5.  What is the one-sentence synopsis of your WIP?

A young Prince of France flees for his life with his mother's most trusted Lady-in-Waiting from his uncle who killed his father, the King, in battle during a Crusade and made others think the enemy did it, before heading to England where the Queen and Prince were hiding out until the fight was over only to murder the Queen, and attempts to murder the Prince to tie up all loose ends.

You'll have to read the book to find out the rest of the story.

6.  Is your WIP published or represented?

It is neither published or represented at this time because I'm still in the first-draft stage of writing it.

7.  How long did it take you to write?

In November 2012, it will be three years since I first brainstormed my story idea, and began fleshing out the characters.  I've also been doing research as the novel progressed to make sure some of the scenes would be historically accurate.

8.  What other WIPs within your genre would you compare it to?

I looked up other historical romance titles on Amazon, and have come to the conclusion that none of the books titles I found are like mine.  There were a few titles I came across that had some aspects of my novel in their synopsis, but none that had everything I have in mine.

As for the other personal writing projects I have on hold, "The Shepherdess Princess" is unique in and of itself.  I have other romance-type novels on the back-burner at the moment, but none of them have a historical aspect to them.

9.  Which authors inspired you to write this WIP?

Hans Christian Andersen, the Brothers Grimm, Dr. Seuss, Mother Goose, and Mark Twain all influenced my childhood imagination.  Michael Buckley's Sisters Grimm Fairy-Tale Detective series has influenced me as an adult because they weren't around when I was younger.

10.  Tell us anything else that might pique our interest in this project.

It starts out in England in the year 1339, and jumps to Scotland five years later.  The story takes place ten years after Robert the Bruce died.  Robert the Bruce died in 1329.  The Prince and King of France are based on the ruler of France at the time, and one of his son's that never succeeded him to the throne.  The shepherdess the Prince falls in love with is a descendant of English nobility.  Her mother traveled to Scotland to take care of an ailing aunt, and her father was there to meet her carriage when she arrived.  It was love at first sight for her parents.  You'll have to read the book to find out how the shepherdess's father came to be in Scotland.  Just like the Prince has to hide his identity from his new friends, the shepherdess isn't told of her nobility until she's sixteen years old because her parents didn't want to raise her thinking she was better than everybody else.

Tag your it:


If you have a work in process that I don’t know about, please do join in – post a blog like this, telling me what you’re doing and what your WIP is all about, and leave a link to your blog in the comments so that I can read all about it.  Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment