Friday, June 22, 2012

Where did the week go?

This week has seemed to fly by for me.  I can't believe Friday is already here, and I'm glad to welcome it.  I get the apartment to myself for a few days, and I can write to my heart's content.  I have about 200 more words to write in my submission for "Chicken Soup for the Soul" before I'm ready to send it into the ether.  If my story is chosen to be published in the "Inspiration for Writers" book, I'll be receiving a check for $200, and some advanced copies of the book.  It would be nice to finally be chosen after making several attempts.

I have been looking repeatedly at the picture prompt for this week's competition at 21st Century Poets with an idea percolating in my head as to the direction I wanted to go with writing a poem about it.

Here's the picture:



Here's the poem I wrote:

Transformation

It was a dark and stormy night,
But I didn't notice as I swam with delight
Beneath the waters foam
As I made my way to my underwater home.

Something magical started taking place,
And a shocked look came upon my face
As my fin was replaced with legs.
I began swimming my fastest to avoid a watery grave.

I was deposited on a foreign shore.
It was definitely not something I've experienced before.
I scared a boy away that was playing with a paper boat.
It lays beside me keeping afloat.

The sand overtook me
As I surveyed as far as my eyes could see.
The opening in the clouds formed
A spotlight all around.

The majestic mountains
Reminded me of the Fountain
of Youth I just left,
And in my nakedness I lay bereft.

I was beginning to think with today's deadline for entries looming that I would end up writing "Transformation" when it was too late to have it count.  I'm also thinking about adding the poem to the beginning of a novel I'm wanting to work on because of it's related subject matter.  I'm still including it into "The Trifecta: A Collection of Poetry" as well.

I got my Literary Fellowship application mailed off on Tuesday.  All of the applicants will be notified of the final results no later than February 15th, 2013.  That's quite a while to wait, but it will be here before I know it.

As for the Ruth Lilly Poetry Fellowship I applied for in March, the finalists will be notified via e-mail by August 1st, and the winners will be announced on September 1st, 2012.  When I first turned in my application for it, I felt like the announcement of winners was a long way off.  Now it's only a little over a month to wait to see if I'm a finalist, or not.  Where did the time go?

No comments:

Post a Comment