Saturday, June 9, 2012

Progress on Projects, and a New Poem...

I've made a little progress today.  I got my author's proof for the "Great Poets Across America" initialed, sealed in an envelope, stamped, and ready to be mailed off.

I have 8 out of the 15 poems I need for the Oregon Literary Fellowship picked out today, so that leaves 7 more poems to choose before I can send it off.

I wrote a new poem yesterday, and entered it into the weekly writing competition at 21st Century Poets.  I also found out yesterday that my poem "Inside My Secret Garden" was chosen as the winner!  That means I have the monthly competition to look forward to at the end of June.

Here's my newest poem:


This lonely heart wantonly beats for another.
Someone who would bother
To take the time to look beyond what they see,
And fall in love with the real me.

Everyone knows “you can’t judge a book by its cover.”
The same thing can be said for finding a lover.
You have to turn the pages and look inside
To discover where my inner beauty resides.

My heart bleeds onto the blank page
As I write what I feel day after day.
Who will take the time to answer
A lonely heart’s sincerest plea?

I’m worthy to spend an eternity
With a lover who can’t live without me.
When I find him, we’ll have a fence and a yard
To watch our children play in for hours.


This is the picture that prompted the poem:


"A Lonely Heart's Plea" is already added to my poetry book manuscript, and I spent some time yesterday working on my entry for the Chicken Soup for the Soul book "Inspiration for Writers."  A lot of the projects I have been working on this week has deadlines at the end of the month.  I know for sure they will be done in time, though.

The library book I requested for my research is waiting to be picked up.  I'll probably go there tomorrow afternoon when I'm running other errands.

No comments:

Post a Comment