Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The story of the Wolverine, and Another Poem

The story of the Wolverine from the movie "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" and a new picture prompt at 21st Century Poets Weekly Writing Competition group resulted in a unique poem entitled "The Moon's Lover."  I'll start off by sharing the story as told to Logan (Hugh Jackman) in the movie and the main reason why he chose to be called Wolverine then I'll share the poem itself.

The Story of the Wolverine

 "Many years ago, the moon had a lover.  His name was Coacuatchoo. But there was a third spirit that longed for the moon, he was a trickster. So, one day the trickster tells Coacuatchoo that the Moon asked for flowers from our world and to go and pick some red roses, so he did.  But, what Coacuatchoo didn't know, is that once you leave the spirit realm, you can never go back. So he forever roams the land, howling to his lost love night after night."

Here's my poem:


The Moon’s Lover

The moon once had a lover
Who was tricked by another
Into leaving her side.
Now they are divided by the earth and sky.

They are reunited every night,
But the breaking dawn ruins the lovers delight.
The stars that shine so bright
Are the tears she cries during the daylight.

The night sky is the wolf’s sunrise
Because he can look upon his lover with his eyes.
When he howls he says “My love, I’ve missed you so,”
And the moon shines brightest for him just before she goes.

Their time together is brief,
But the next evening brings joy and relief
To be in the presence of each other once more
Until the day they’ll reunite on a Heavenly shore.


Besides writing this poem for the weekly competition, I've been compiling some poems to submit to the Ruth Lilly Poetry Fellowship.  It has ten pages long, and the application is due by the end of March.  If my application is one of the few chosen, they will publish the poems in Poetry Magazine along with the other winning entries, and I'll receive $15,000 prize money to use in any way I want.  Click on the link above to see the guidelines.  The age limit for the Ruth Lilly Poetry Fellowship is 31, so this would be my one and only chance to try for it because of my age.

I've been spending as much as I can compiling the poems I want to enter, so I could get everything just the way I want it before submission.  I've I put in a poem that I don't think is very good, I scrap it and put one I think is better in it's place.  The four poems I've added so far all come from working on weekly challenges at 21st Century Poets because a lot of my new material and inspiration has come from participating in those challenges, and I feel like I've blossomed in my poetry because it's provided me with what I believe to be some of my best work.  The challenges have also taken me out of my comfort zone a time or two as well.

Aside from that, the Oregon Authors Commission has Individual Artist Fellowships handed out every year.  The deadline for that is in October.  The link I used shows last years dates on the guideline, but the guidelines themselves remain the same for this year.  The reward for this Fellowship is $3,000, and has no age limit.  If I don't get chosen this round, though, I'd have to wait another five years to apply again.

4 comments:

  1. I wish to make an illustration book on this poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That poem is breathtakingly beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think that this has similarities to a poem by Keats called endymion released in 1800's

    ReplyDelete