Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo is here...

It's that time of the year again!  No, I'm not talking about Halloween, but it's just as scary.  I'm talking about NaNoWriMo.  That time of the year when all participants stress levels soar through the roof as they attempt to complete a 50,000 word novel in 30 days!  I have been taking part in this insane ritual for the past three years, and have yet to make the 50,000 word mark.

The bummer is I found out that the rules state I can't already use a novel I've done before.  I have to start from scratch with a new novel each time.  OOPS!  I've been slaving away on the same novel for the past three years of WriMo's, and that rule was never brought to my attention before now.

Anyway, after having a friend on Facebook pick a number between 1 and 10, I picked "Magic In Their Blood" to be my NaNoWriMo novel this year, and set about spending last week gathering the few research notes I already had on it.  Suffice it to say, I don't know how much sleep I'll be getting this month.  My characters are already waking me up in the middle of the night to write scenes, and it's only been officially started for almost 8 hours now.  Ugh!  Coffee pot, here I come! :)

I ended up having to create a splice file separate from my "Magic In Their Blood" manuscript because I can't seem to think of one continuous scene clearly at the moment, but only get snippets of the story here and there.  It makes me feel scatter-brained all of a sudden.  I'm thinking my splice file will be my best friend this go around because I've barely got the second page of the novel started in the manuscript, and have about the same amount of pages in my splice file with scenes that come later in the story.  I'm surprised I've been able to transition pretty easily to MITB when at times I still have "The Shepherdess Princess" on the brain.

I don't like having to put "The Shepherdess Princess" on the back-burner for now, but rules are rules!  I have been kind of stuck with my progress in TSP anyway, so this may end up being the boost I need to get out of my writing rut long enough to finish that novel some time after Dec. 1st comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment