After some consideration, I've decided to try for the Oregon Arts Commission's Individual Artist Fellowship that's due on October 15th, 2012. The Fellowship award amount is $3,000.
Here are some of the guidelines for any other fellow starving artists/Oregonians interested in it:
Eligible artist applicants must:
• be a current Oregon resident; and be a current resident when an award is made;
• have been an Oregon resident for one full year prior to the application deadline date;
• have not received an Oregon Arts Commission Fellowship in the five (5) years prior to submission of an application.
Full‐time students and non‐professionals who produce art as a hobby are not eligible. While the Commission acknowledges that many artists work collaboratively, each Fellowship will be awarded to only one individual artist. Individuals may submit one application per year.
Eligible Artistic Disciplines
The Oregon Arts Commission offers Fellowships in various artistic disciplines in alternating years:
• October 15, 2012 : Literature (creative non‐fiction, fiction, play writing and poetry) and Performing Arts (choreography, dance, music composition, music performance, theater and performance art)
• October 15, 2013: Visual Arts (crafts, drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, mixed media and new media) and Design Arts are eligible to apply.
Completed applications must be submitted online by 5:00 pm, October 15, 2012. Applications that are late for any reason will not be reviewed. All applications will be completed and submitted at http://oregon.culturegrants.org/.
I almost didn't go for this one because I haven't had much luck with other fellowship applications this year, but I figured I won't know until I try. I could be surprised, and finally be awarded something.