Monday, March 14, 2011

Another Entry About Books

I finished reading Jane Austen's "Persuasion" on Friday. I can't believe how long it took me compared to the other Austen books. I did stop reading it for a few days to read another book I just bought called "Awakened" by PC and Kristin Cast.

"Awakened" is the eighth or ninth installment of the House of Night series, another vampire-related book series that I can't seem to get enough of. PC and Kristin Cast are a mother-daughter writing duo. They both live in Oklahoma. Mama Cast is/was a schoolteacher, and Kristin is in college. I often wonder when I read a popular book series whether the author, or authors, knew how much of a big hit they created when they first started writing. I believe the Casts probably started writing to put Kristin through college, and whatever other reasons they might have for doing it.

What drew me to the House of Night series was the fact that the main character, Zoey, is not only Cherokee but also Marked with a crescent moon tattooed on her forehead. She's then taken to the Tulsa, Oklahoma House of Night where she's learns how to be a vampire, learns about famous vampires in movies and other industries, and the history of Vampirism as a fledgling until she Changes into a full-fledged, blood-sucking Vampire.

Before I started reading all the Jane Austen books, I was reading Dashiell Hammett's "The Maltese Falcon." I have gone back to reading that again, and am enjoying being in the world of Sam Spade. It's really hard not to picture Humphrey Bogart as I'm reading it, or anybody else that was in the movie adaptation so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment