Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Chicken Soup for the Soul" Entry

I've been spending the day thinking about what story I wrote I would like to share first with my followers, and decided on my short story "An Answer to Prayer" that I submitted to "Chicken Soup for the Soul" that may be put into it's next book about devotionals during times of trouble. I say it's the next book because it has a deadline of February 28th for story submissions. So here it is:

An Answer to Prayer

“During your times of trial and suffering,

when you see only one set of footprints,

it was then that I carried you.”

-Footprints In The Sand

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

I’m only thirty years old, but I have faced many hardships in my short life. Through it all, God has been the glue keeping me together through my devotional time with him, and in my worship time. Whenever I’ve felt discouraged, I’ve thought of the poem “Footprints in the Sand.” No matter how many times I’ve read the words, I’ve felt so blessed and comforted knowing I was in His loving arms.

On November 17th, 2009, my world came crashing down on me once again. My dad had been battling prostate cancer for a couple years, and went home to be with the Lord that day at 1:30 am.

My parents divorced when I was two years old, but they remained great friends. My dad and I had a very close relationship. I was a daddy’s girl. Anyway, on November 17th, my sister came to the door with my mom and one of my brothers to tell my brother and me the news. I could tell by the look on their faces when I opened the front door that my dad was gone. Up until the day he died, my brother, Ray, and I had been regularly visiting my dad 3-4 times a week. I always loved the way his face lit up when he saw me, was willing to buy me things when I couldn’t afford it, and gave me rides if he saw me walking on the street. My dad rededicated his life to God five years before he died, and couldn’t wait to go home to Jesus when he found out he had cancer. He would tell us how he was ready to be with the Lord, and not to be sad because he was going to a better place.

A couple days after he died, I was sitting at my computer desk missing him like crazy. Through my tears I prayed, “Dear God, I need a hug really bad, but the person I want the hug from is now there with you.” Almost instantly, I felt arms wrapped around me and knew my prayer had been answered. God was giving my dad a chance to hug me goodbye.

It’s been over a year since my dad passed away. I miss him and think of him everyday. When I’m grieving the most, I remember the special hug I received. He’s no longer in pain, and I try to remember all the good times we shared while he was still alive. Now I have two Heavenly fathers watching over me. I feel blessed that my dad had a full life, and eagerly await our reunion someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment