Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Writing progress, and birthday stuff...

I finished editing my second short story on Friday night, and went to work on the third one I had printed out to edit.  It turns out, the third story didn't need editing at all after the re-read.  I printed out the fifth and final story to reread and edit on Saturday, but I haven't got around to reading the last two stories for editing purposes yet.  The novel I'm working on still has a long way to go before it's ready for publication because I have a lot of short story ideas left to add to the manuscript later on.

On Saturday, my partner-in-crime came over bearing early birthday presents for me: a funny b-day card, a purple sun hat, a stainless steel water bottle, a pair of shoes, and a Grande Soy Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks!  The coffee was yummy, and helped dull the pain from women's problems.  I wore the shoes for the first time yesterday, and they are really comfy.  They're a size too big for me, but I didn't notice the difference after I walked around in them for a bit.

My mom gave me a card with $5.00 in it; one of my brother's supplied the cake, ice cream, and birthday pizza; and another brother gave me $8.00.

I also got to watch a couple movies we got from the library:  "Becoming Jane" which is the story of Jane Austen's life up until she published Pride & Prejudice (Anne Hathaway did a good job playing Jane Austen), and "War Horse" which is about a boy being separated from a horse he raised and trained from a colt during WWI, and they spent the whole movie looking for each other.  Some of my family members and I definitely needed tissues at the end of it.  Ugh, happy endings! :)

I've had a song stuck in my head throughout the day with my own little revision tagged onto the end of it:

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want to,
Cry if I want to, cry if I want to.
You would cry to
If you just turned thirty-two!

LOL

Aside from being my birthday, it was Thanksgiving Day in Canada and Columbus Day here in America.  One of my brothers and I spent some time the last couple days discussing why Columbus was credited for the discovery of the Americas when so many other explorers found it before him.  I joked that when the Native Americans saw the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria there reaction would be like "Not white men again!"

I also brought up the debauchery that would take place among the sailors because they were men with needs spending months or years together stuck on a floating pile of wood.  Some ships would smuggle on women, but there wouldn't be enough to go around.  Also, having women on board was considered bad luck at one time and some sailors were extremely superstitious.  I blame the topic of discussion on the crazy hormones running through me at the time.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment