Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving, and Other Matters...

It's been a while since I updated this page.  I was planning on doing another blog update a day or two after my last one, but I came down with a terrible cold and today is the first day I've been out and about among the living again.

I have three new poems I wanted to share that I wrote 2-3 weeks ago now:


It has been a couple months
Since September 11th came and went.
Signifying twelve years since that day
The terrorists tried to take our way
Of living when two buildings were destroyed,
And a third plane was grounded that was deployed
To go for our Nation’s Capital.
Instead, the passengers recaptured
The plane from the hijackers,
And landed it in a field
Before their lives they would yield.

 On that day.
No one thought it would turn out that way.
They went to work like usual,
Or got on a plane that was fueled
To go to their destination,
And ended up being casualties of terrorists’ premeditation.

Those people were not the only heroes to fall
As I think of the men & women who answered the call
At the twin towers:
The very people who spent hours
Looking for survivors
And losing their own lives being the heroes they were.

Then there are movies like Remember Me
That shows another side unseen.
What the families have to go through
As they mourn their lost loved ones.

Where would they be now
If that horrible day never came?  And how
Different would our lives be
If the terrorists were stopped completely
Before anyone was sacrificed?
We’ll never know, so we go on with our lives.

In remembrance of everyone that gave
Their lives to save
Our way of freedom
As Veteran’s Day was also seen.

Yearly, the people’s minds are cast
To those whose sacrifice showed their “last
Full measure of devotion.”
I bet all the dead bodies could fill the Pacific Ocean.



It’s almost completed:
The novel that will be repeatedly
Distributed when it’s accepted
By a publisher that’s been affected
By my words.
Being read by many is what my characters deserve.

I  will go home from a coffee trip
With the intent
To turn on my laptop,
And get lost in my imagination.

Other writers are about
Hoping to get their word count
For the day.
Oblivious to their surroundings
As they get lost in the creativity.



“The last single girl kiss”[1]
Was shared last night in anticipation of wedded bliss
With an ethereal audience waiting
For the two halves to become one
Under a blanket of stars with no one
Except the priest to bear witness
As their vows are sealed with a kiss.

The Heavenly Hosts approve
As a beacon of light shines through
The night sky,
And surround the united groom and bride.

Their love will go on forever,
And when they grow old they’ll remember
As they sit on the porch swinging
Of that long ago day with wedding bells ringing.

“You’re as beautiful as the day we met,”
The husband admits with no regrets.
The wife’s cheeks blushed a rosy hue
As they smelled the dew
On the grass.
Both wish this moment would always last.





[1] This is part of a line delivered by Carrie Bradshaw in the Sex and the City movie.

Other Writing:

I'm still working on finishing "The Shepherdess Princess."  I was hoping to be nearing the end by the time this weekend rolled around, but I've had a terrible cold for the past week and a half.  Thanksgiving day was the first time in the past couple weeks that I added anything to my manuscript, and I have a couple more chapters written out longhand that I'll be adding to my computer when I get home from the library tonight.

I have finally jumped the hurdle that led me to print out my manuscript and edit what I had before I continued with the story.  I broke through that stumbling block yesterday, and came out of it a woman possessed!  I spent a couple hours last night before going to bed writing 5 more pages in my spiral notebook.  Then I added 2 more longhand pages this morning when I woke up.

The end is so close that I can see a shimmer of the light at the end of the tunnel!  I have an idea for four more chapters that will take place at the ending.  This weekend I'll be working on closing the gap until I reach "the final four" as I'm going to refer to them from now on.  I have a scene written out already that is staying in my novel's splice file until I need it that will end the book.  I just can't believe I have the end scene figured out already, but I'm beginning to feel accomplished because I'm so close.

If my creative streak keeps going, I should be typing the words "The End" to "The Shepherdess Princess" by the middle of December, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment