Monday, June 24, 2013

A Contest Entry

My friend, Sara, started a contest on her blog to win a copy of her newest volume of poetry titled Alice at the Spa: Poems and More that was just published through Lulu.   The contest ends on July 31st, 2013.  I was the first entry with this poem:

Down the Rabbit Hole

Moonlight flowing in, dark as blood
How I long for its silvery light to flood
Over me, and save me
From the darkness enveloping me.

Day in and day out it's all the same
While the moon waxes and wanes.
A friend's challenge moves me to write a new poem,
And I'm finally feeling at home.

It's been so long for me creatively
That I jumped at the chance to break free.
Will this poem put an end
To the writing funk I've been in?

I've felt like Alice at the Spa
With my own rabbit hole to fall
Down as I grasp for reality
While fantasy surrounds me.

Whoever greets me in Wonderland,
Will make my life grand.
I would be more than happy to attend
An unbirthday party with all of my friends.

I had such a hard time writing this poem:  I rewrote several lines, I changed the title three times, and I had to change a word in the first line because I left something out.  I was beginning to wonder if I would ever finish writing the poem because of the obstacles I was facing.

I also feel like some people might not understand the significance of the last verse.  I was part of the drama club in High School and played the Dormouse in an interpretation of Alice in Wonderland.  My friend, Sara, who started this contest was The March Hare in the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment