Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Beware the Inner Editor...

I've been trying really hard since I wrote my last blog entry to write a single word down in one of my novels, but my well feels like it has run dry.  I did have a few lines of a poem thought out a couple weeks ago, but I didn't have my notebook, or a pen handy.  The inevitable happened, and I couldn't remember a single word of the poem after I rushed to get a pen and paper.   I do have an idea forming in my head for the continuation of the chapter I'm writing in "The Shepherdess Princess," but that involves a little bit of a rewrite to make the transition flow better into the scene I plan on keeping and continue with the story from there.  It's not going to be a massive rewrite, but I'm kind of dreading sitting down to type it out because I don't want my inner editor to think she has free reign over the rest of the story up to that point, and she's already tried to get me to think of tidbits I could add in about one of my other characters earlier in the manuscript.  I think I will eventually succumb to my inner editor's bidding because I want to add more of a story line pertaining to a certain character, but I'm trying to keep her at bay until creatively I'm prepared to tackle what she wants me to do.  I'm also afraid if I add too much here and there in the beginning that I'll end up straying from the plot, and any potential readers of the final product would be very confused.

I have been spending a lot of my time lately reading several books.  The list is too extensive to share completely, but they have mainly been vampire-themed.  I'm currently reading "The Queen of the Damned" by Anne Rice which is the third book in the Vampire Chronicles.  I have requested book number four from the library: "The Tale of the Body Thief" since I'm almost done reading book number three.  Out of the entire series, "Interview With the Vampire," and "The Queen of the Damned" are the only ones that have been made into movies so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment