Friday, February 17, 2012

Two New Poems, and Other Stuff...

My mom gets me a copy of a publication called the Pacific Skinny, and gives it to me every Thursday morning when I see her.  The Pacific Skinny is comprised of a bunch of classified type ads announcements, but they also have jokes and funny pictures as well as a word search and crossword puzzle.  Anyway, in one of the joke type formats was this today: The difference between fiction and reality?  Fiction has to make sense.

Even though I know it was stated jokingly, I found it to be true.  Reality doesn't make sense at all, and is accepted as a part of life you have no control over.  However, a writer has control over the world he or she decides to create through fiction, and yes the finished product has to make sense in order for people reading a book to understand it.

The Unwanted Guest

Ack! What are you doing back here
Among memories so clear?
I screamed as you barged in my head
Stirring up trouble for me instead.

I don't want to waste my time on you
After what you put me through.
I thought I was done writing about you,
But look at what you have led me to do!

Get out of my head, you're not wanted
And I refuse to be haunted
By you any longer.
I have gotten stronger
Since we parted ways,
So why does your memory insist to stay?

You're an unwanted guest
That makes a pest
Of himself at inopportune times,
And forces me to tell you to get out in rhyme.

Birth

A gentle operating room
two lovers swoon
devours evangelical man’s noticing here,
and traditionally lives slowly enter narrowly
ravishing open pelvis demonstrably
’Round tired woman’s Nana.

The poem "Birth" was based on a keyboard smash given to me by the admin of the Weekly Writing Competition at 21st Century Poets.  She gave me a jumble of letters to write a poem with, and "Birth" is the finished product of that.

"The Unwanted Guest" is a result of my venting to a friend about a certain ex-boyfriend of mine interrupting another poem I was trying to start writing.  I hated how the poem eventually veered back to him when he wasn't the subject I was starting to write about at all!

The conversation also gave my friend an idea for a poem.  See her finished poem here.

I got word from VistaPrint today that my business cards shipped early, and are on their way.  Woo hoo!  I can't wait to get them in my hands.

1 comment:

  1. Both poems are great, especially the second one. Thanks for the plug ;)

    ReplyDelete