Saturday, December 24, 2011

What I'm Reading and Other Stuff

Now that I've written my Christmas blog entry, I can't stop thinking about what I want to do next.  Besides win a million dollars playing the lottery!  I'm pretty much done researching a couple of my stories, but I can't seem to bring myself to actually sitting down and writing some more in the book.  One book I've been researching, I haven't started writing yet.

In "The Shepherdess Princess," a little bit of a rewrite in the future to make the time period I'm writing about more historically accurate.  Turns out, the Hundred Years War was starting during my time frame and was against England, and France.  France wasn't united at the time, and England thought they had a claim to the French throne.  Thus, a war broke out.

I was just reading about the first part of the war that lasted from 1337-1360, and come to find out that Scotland's King at the time was allied with France.  It's interesting because most of my story is set in Scotland a couple years after this war historically started, so that'll put a new spin on things I haven't been able to process and put to paper yet.  I hope I figure something out soon.

I also came across a good quote for "Magic In Their Blood" I want to start the book with.  I actually came across it while watching "Eclipse" based on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series.  The character Billy Black says in one scene, "We Quilleutes have always had magic in our blood."  When I heard that, lightning struck.  I may watch the movie again soon, so I could jot down the quote word for word.  Of course, I'll give credit to Stephenie Meyer when I use it.

The more I research "Magic In Their Blood," the more I can't wait to write it.  I'm having a hard time starting it off though.  I'll be starting a new document file for it soon, and start off with the quote I just shared, and some acknowledgments pertaining to the research that went into it.  After I do that, maybe I'll be able to produce the first sentence, and go on from there.

Now to get to what I'm reading right now.  I got from the library this week "Vampire Stories" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  From what I gleaned from the intro to the book, which is a collection of 9 short vampire-related stories, Sir Arthur wasn't too happy about being known for his great detective Sherlock Holmes because he had written several short stories and poetry before then that he barely got recognized for.

Anyway, I just finished reading the second short story called "The Captain of the Pole-Star," and what intrigued me about it was the "vampire" in the story resembled a mist to one character, and a lost love to the Captain.  Also, instead of a vampire that drank blood, this one consumed a person's energy, life force, and body heat simultaneously.

I also found out interesting facts I didn't know about Arthur Conan Doyle's life like he quit his practice as a doctor to write full-time when he became more well-known.  His main influence for his writing was Edgar Allen Poe, and he was friends with authors H. G. Wells, Bram Stoker, Rudyard Kipling, and Robert Louis Stevenson.  He took his inspiration for the story "The Captain of the Pole-Star" and an earlier mariner work called "The Hope" from a stint of working as a ship's surgeon on a whaling vessel.

No comments:

Post a Comment